Monday, January 22, 2007

I can't take you to lunch or let you fly . . .

on my plane , but here's $50,000 for your vote on my $5 billion tax cut.

Most of us are really tired of the corruption and the corporate ownership of our political process. After all the Constitution of the United States doesn't mention corporation/company anywhere. Their rights descend from judicial decisions in the 19th Century (talk about activist courts!), leading to the foundation of the modern corporate economic system.

So what's my solution? Simple.

Only those eligible to vote may contribute to political candidates and parties. A company, a corporation, trade association, interest group doesn't have a vote so no campaign contributions.

Yes I support lots of interest groups that finance candidates I support and who share my interests. But in all fairness if you want to end corporate ownership of politics there can be no exceptions. Exceptions have gotten us into this mess.

An eligible voter can only contribute financially to a candidate who is their representative or elected official. Too many candidates/politicians are owned by special interests. Often its a politican from a district where the special interest has no business activity.

I'm sure there's a loop-hole I haven't covered. But collectively we can arrive at campaign finance reform and, most importantly, accountability from our politicians to the voters.

1 comment:

KAZ said...

Wouldn't limiting political contributions to only those who are "eligible to vote" further disenfranchise millions of people deemed ineligible to vote, due to their past civil transgressions.