Monday, January 22, 2007

A MESS BY ANY OTHER NAME

This country has became just one huge mess or so it seems. I mean during my lifetime the decision making structure of the US has avoided dealing with one problem after another or applied a series of bandaids to postpone the day of reconning until someone else's watch. Well it seems we are on the verge of having to make a number of major decisions soon or face the consequences from a falling house of cards.

Here in Obviousland the solutions always seemed, well pretty obvious. What I couldn't understand growing up was why was there such an inherent, underlying resistance to making and implementing true, realistic solutions to the problems we collectively confront in the United States. It always seemed most of the people wanted a certain outcome but a small group would block any significant change. So we typically ended up with a piss poor half measure that didn't satisfy the majority.

It was a paradigm shift that started in my teens that made me see that activism was the difference. Those who understood that they had a stake in the game were very active and/or had the resources to make the outcome favorable to them. So throughout my life I went through periods of activism - trying in my own way to change things around me, with so-so success.

Following a period of inactivity regarding activism, the events here at the start of the 21st Century have raised my blood pressure enough to realize I have to get back in the game if things are going to change. So I have come to three simple conclusions:

- Change doesn't happen unless one is part of the change. So you have to get active.

- The internet is one of the greatest tools to come along to promote change.

- Got to change the mind set. Typically the common people are either poorly informed until its too late or feel they have no stake in the game. Yes, I believe that's simple.

So as 2007 gets underway I have decided to become the 'decider'. Yes we all are the 'deciders'.
The past year was another watershed year. After significant health problems I'm still here and I'm not going anywhere soon. The time has come to implement the plan. More on this later.

1 comment:

John Powers said...

Welcome to the blogosphere! I've subscribed via RSS. I mention it because everyone has to find their own way with blogs and the question always comes up: "How often to post?" The fact is most of us don't have all that much time. So I encourage you not to feel "under the gun." Blogs are a great way to keep a record of writing and it's always a little surprising what emerges over time.